Monday, September 21, 2015

DIY Natsu Bow

I'm super happy to have my husband home from his business trip to Canada. We really haven't had much time to relax and spend time together though. His flight got in late Friday and I had to work on Saturday, so we had lunch before I left and dinner together at the end of the day but not a lot else. Then yesterday we spent a sizable portion of the day running errands and in the evening I finished up my second Fairy Tail cosplay bow. (If you missed the first one, based on Lucy Heartfilia, check it out here.)

This one is based on Natsu Dragneel, who has Fire Dragon magic.


Supplies:

Small Barrette
Fire Fabric- 9 inch by 3 inch
White Fabric- 6 by 2 inch, and a 2 by 3 inch
Matching Thread
Shrink Plastic
Red Marker/ pencil
Small hole punch or awl

Step One: Cut and Sew Fabric

Cut the fabric to the sizes listed above. Fold the two larger pieces in half widthwise. (So you have a 4.5x3 and a 3x2) Sew the edges, leaving a small opening, and turn right side out. Sew the openings closed and iron flat. Sew the 2x3 in half and turn so you have a 1x3 inch tube. Iron that flat with the seam hidden on the back.


Step Two: Add Decorative Stitching 

Add lines of black stitching on the white pieces to mimic the pattern of Natsu's scarf.


Step Three: Make a Fairy Tail Guild Symbol

Use a piece of shrink plastic to make a small Fairy Tail logo in red. The shrink plastic I have ends up about half the size so I started with a piece around 2 inches square so it ended up approximately 1 inch. Be sure to add a least 2 small holes before you shrink it so that you can sew it on like a button.

Before Shrinking

After Shrinking

Step Four: Sew Logo to Center Piece

Sew the logo onto the center of the 1 by 3 inch white strip.


Step 5: Assemble Bow

Layer everything with the larger, fire piece on the bottom and white on top. Wrap the center strip around and sew closed.


Step 6: Attach to Barrette


I'm really happy with the way it turned out although I almost put a picture of Happy, Natsu's cat, in the center. In the end I decided that the guild logo would coordinate better colorwise. I also played around with the idea of adding something to reference his pink hair but didn't come up with a solution that I liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment