Thursday, September 10, 2015

DIY Hidden Passport Pocket

I mentioned earlier this week that I was making a passport pocket for my husband's upcoming trip and here are details of how I created it. I want to start this post by saying that I am not very good with zippers but it seemed like the most secure option. I also did the whole thing while my husband was at work so I couldn't check the fit or function of the whole thing until after it was done.

Materials:
Fabric: Two pieces at least 4x6
Belting to make belt loops: about 9 inches
small zipper: I used a 6 inch

Before I started I had to do a little quick math to decide how big I wanted the pocket to be. The passport itself is 3.5 by 5 inches but I wanted it to hang down a bit so everything doesn't get scrunched when he sits. I ended cutting 5.5 by 10.5 so it will be 5 by 10 after .25 inch seams.

The first step is to cut a whole for the zipper. On the pocket I made the zipper runs parallel to your leg but it would work just as well the other way depending on the size. I place the zipper about an inch and a half from the side and down from the top. Mark a line where you want the zipper to be and cut a slit with a tiny v at each end. It should look like the line below.

 >----------------------<
After you cut it open fold and iron the sides back so the zipper fits in the space.





Pin the zipper in place and carefully sew around the outside. This is a little tricky because you have to work around the zipper pull. Also think about which way you want it to open. I put the tab at the top of the pocket when the zipper is closed. It's also a good idea to double stitch the ends to help it stand up to wear when unzipping.



After you have the zipper in put the right sides together and pin everything in place. Also cut the belting in two pieces, fold them in half, and pin those in place as well. They should actually be inside the other pieces with just the end showing. I sewed mine in the wrong way on the first try.




Make sure that you have the zipper open so you can turn everything right side out, and sew around the entire edge of the pocket. I also went over the part where the tab attach multiple times for reinforcement. This is something you definitely don't want coming apart. I included the reminder to open the zipper first because I didn't think about it and had to carefully hold the tab through the fabric and ease it open. It wasn't really difficult to open, but it was awkward so double check it before you sew.

After you turn everything right side out you are done! 




To wear it the loops slip on your belt, just like belt loops, then the whole thing flips over the waist band so its inside your pants. He has tried it on and says it feels like it fits right and won't get squashed. He also plans to store his receipts inside so he can be reimbursed, hopefully it's easy enough to access. We'll have to wait and see.






No comments:

Post a Comment