Monday, March 30, 2015

Librocubicularist- March 2015

I do a lot of reading and most of that takes place in bed.  When this term started popping up online it really amused me to know there was a specific term for it. So when I decided to do a monthly book roundup post I felt like this would be a fitting title.


Because of all the planning and work for our Pi Day party I actually didn't read as much as usually this month but here are the highlights.


Grisha Trilogy


Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


While driving around on Valentine's Day my husband and I had a long conversation where we both talked about role-playing campaign worlds we are designing. As part of that conversation I asked him about what he thought made something Russian.(As in if you wanted to create a country that had a Russian feel but wasn't actually Russia what would it be like.) Our conclusion was that it all boils down to names. The words that you use to describe things is gives the feeling more than what kind of climate or government a place has or the kind of monsters you choose to inhabit it.

That conclusion is backed up by this series. The names for everything from cities and people to types of architecture, food, and clothing come together to give the Russian feel.The books are set in a country that is split in two by the Shadow Fold, a stretch of land shrouded in constant dark and shadow, inhabited but vicious monsters. The main character is an orphan girl named Alina who learns she possesses a special power that could help eliminate the Fold. The story follow her as she transitions from a girl struggling to understand her own powers to the savior of her people.

The plot revolves around her striving to learn to use and control the power herself and others attempts to gain control of her power for their own ends. There's a spooky magic user who controls shadow and a creepy priest who makes me think of Rasputin.

This series has lots of things I think my husband would love. It sets up an interesting new magic system and has a smart aleck pirate who (view spoiler), a character type he really likes. I enjoyed the series because it was fast paced and easy to read and liked the interplay between magic and technology and the overall atmosphere. I also liked the Russia atmosphere of the books, its not a setting that gets used a lot and was a refreshing change.

Age Recommendations:
These books are billed as young adult novels and I stand by that. If you have a very mature middle school kid it may be okay but they contain some intense kissing against the wall kind of romance scenes and monsters that rip people apart and eat them so use your own judgement there.


Washi Wonderful: Creative Projects & Ideas for Paper TapeWashi Wonderful: Creative Projects & Ideas for Paper Tape by Jenny Doh

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book contains great ideas for greeting cards and gift wrapping using washi tape. All of the projects instruction are very straightforward and easy to follow. The projects also use just a few common tools making it very easy to get started. I really love gift wrapping and am eager to put some of these ideas to use. I made one of the decorative flowers in about 5 minutes while watching tv.

Age Recommendation:
Due to the limited tools involved the majority of these projects could be completed by fairly young children. Most projects would be appropriate for later elementary school kids. Some of the cards use collages of tape which even younger kids could help with.

 


Cookies & Cream: Hundreds of Ways to Make the Perfect Ice Cream SandwichCookies & Cream: Hundreds of Ways to Make the Perfect Ice Cream Sandwich by Tessa Arias

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


My husband loves to make his own ice cream and has been toying with the idea of making his own ice cream sandwiches for a while now so when I came across this book at the library I had to check it out.

It starts out with some basic techniques for ice cream bases and different types of cookies as well as some assembly tips. The rest of the book is recipes. There are about 50 pairings for ice cream sandwiches such as Apple Pie, Lemon-Blueberry, and Black Forest. All of the recipes can also be mixed and matched to create a large variety of other treats. With the weather starting to warm up maybe we'll have a chance to make some soon.

Also this cookbook includes pictures of every ice cream sandwich which is something I really like.

Age Recommendations:
This book would be awesome for anyone of any age. Even little kids can help measure and mix, and who wouldn't want to help make ice cream sandwiches?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment