Monday, August 3, 2015

Librocubicularist- July 2015


I didn't get much crafting done this past week because we were busy getting ready to go out of town for a wedding this weekend. The wedding took place in my old college town so I also had a chance to show my husband all the places I used to hang out. We had a really great, relaxing time. We had about a 4 hour drive each way and I spent a lot of that time taking pictures of clouds inspired by The Cloud Collector's Handbook (previously reviewed here) and its predecessor, The Cloud Spotter's Guide which I'm currently reading. Scroll down to check out July's book reviews and see more pictures from our drive.



Gelli Plate Printing: Mixed-Media Monoprinting Without a PressGelli Plate Printing: Mixed-Media Monoprinting Without a Press by Joan Bess

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


While I don't own a gelli plate I did do some monoprinting using plexiglass sheets years ago in college. After reading through this book I think that the two techniques are mostly interchangeable. The methods presented in this book include both additive and subtractive methods of making prints. There are instructions for creating layer, using masks, making your own texture plates and tools, and more. As I'm trying to get back into making more art and I think that printmaking could be really fun and easy way to do that. They can be created as stand-alone art or used as components for other types of art pieces.

Age Recommendations: Printmaking is simple enough for even very small kids to do but has enough variations to stay interesting for experienced adult artists. This book would be inspiring for all ages.



1,000 Any-Size Quilt Blocks (Leisure Arts #5593)1,000 Any-Size Quilt Blocks by Linda Causee

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


This book provides exactly what its title advertises, tons of quilt blocks with templates that can be scaled and printed to make blocks in a variety of sizes. They are organized into sections for 4, 5, and 9 patch; plus stars, curved blocks, and foundation pieced blocks. The reason that I didn't give a higher rating is because this book doesn't provide many instructions. There is only a very brief bit at the start with information on printing the templates from the included CD and a short discussion of binding techniques. As a new quilter it's a little disappointing to see all the fun blocks but not have any indication of how much fabric to buy or exactly how to put them together.

Age/ Skill Recommendations: I think that quilting could be a great hobby for most age groups this book is obviously designed for people who have at a moderate to high level of quilting experience.



Quilt Lab: The Creative Side of Science: 12 Clever ProjectsQuilt Lab: The Creative Side of Science: 12 Clever Projects by Alexandra Winston

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This awesome book combines the arts and crafts with science. It starts out with an introductory section that talks about geometry and how it relates to quilting specifically. It includes formulas and charts to help calculate sizes and tips/ shortcuts for cutting various shapes without needing lots of extra templates and rulers. The main section is filled with project instructions for a variety of science themed quilts such as quilts based on fractals, binary, or a visual representation of sound waves. The book also contains inspiration and tips for creating your own science themed designs as well as an overview of quilt finishing techniques.

Age/Skill Recommendations:I think that having kids help come up with designs for science quilts could be really fun however I think most of the actual cutting and quilting would need to be done by an adult with some quilting experience.



The Legend of Luke (Redwall, #12)The Legend of Luke by Brian Jacques

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


If you've never read any of the Redwall series they are basically fantasy style novels for kids where all of the characters are mice or other woodland creatures. They have founded Redwall Abbey as a place where animals can live together in peace and safety. They band together against larger 'evil' animals. This particular book tells the story of Luke who is the father of Martin, the first warrior of Redwall.
I enjoy reading them because they are well written and entertaining but they also have fantastic descriptions for food and drink that we are currently using as inspiration for creating tavern menus for my husband's tabletop rpg campaign.

Age Recommendation: I think Redwall would be a good series to read aloud to kids at bedtime and it would also be suitable for older kids to read on their own.


Most of the pictures that I took have a lot of glare/ reflections because they were taken out the window or sunroof while we were driving but I did get a few that I really like.






Showing how NOT flat Kansas really is










No comments:

Post a Comment